Friday, February 4, 2011

Just Shut Up!

If you have been foolish, exalting yourself, or if you have been devising evil, put your hand on your mouth. -Proverbs 30:32

Many times we find ourselves at points where we pointlessly pontificate over various positions that we hold or want to ponder. Far too often at these times we talk and talk and talk without giving much thought to the words that are coming out of our mouth. We talk and almost enjoy being right about whatever it is that we are discussing. We talk and we enjoy having the last word on that which we are working through. We get to a certain point where we talk almost with the purpose of hearing our own voice.

Far too often I find myself talking and loving what I hear. That is, my own voice. I find myself clever. I find myself seeking out being right and getting the last word on things. Unfortunately, this only feeds into my own pride. My pride always rears its ugly head when it comes to discussions of seeming importance.

One of the most important things that I have learned and am learning is something which this verse in Proverbs brings forward in my mind. It is important to learn when it is appropriate to just shut up. I have gotten myself in far too many bad situations in my life with nothing more than my mouth. Learning to shut up, or merely just put my hand on my mouth, would save myself from much trouble. In addition, it would keep me from falling prey to the sin of pride in exalting myself. My words are not what matters. Keeping myself close to God's words, living them out, matters so much more.

1 comment:

  1. Points-pointlessly-pontificate-positions-ponder-purpose-pride-Proverbs

    I think I will shut up now.

    Great word!

    ReplyDelete